Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Armistice Day

Armistice Day had special resonance in France this year as Europe commemorates the centenary of the beginning of the First World War.  In Paris, ceremonies began at 9:00 a.m. with the laying of wreaths at the memorial to students arrested by the occupying Germans for marching on the Champs-Elysées to the Arc de Triomphe on November 11, 1940.


At 10:00 a.m. wreaths were laid at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier in the Arc de Triomphe.






At 11:00 a.m. President François Hollande led a ceremony of national commemoration at the Arc de Triomphe.




In the afternoon, President Hollande inaugurated the ring of memory, a new international memorial at Notre-Dame-de-Lorette in Pas-de-Calais listing the names of almost 600,000 soldiers who died on the battlefields of Flanders and Artois during the First World War.  In Paris, dignitaries from Belgium, the Czech Republic, Greece, Italy, Poland, Russian, Spain, and Slovakia joined Parisian city officials in paying homage to foreign soldiers who died fighting for France.  The ceremony took place in Paris' largest and most famous cemetery, Le Père Lachaise, a stunningly beautiful park that is home to graves of such luminaries as Oscar Wilde, Max Ernst, Gertrude Stein, Maria Callas, and Alexandre Ledru-Rollin (about whom we posted earlier).






Throughout the day, people donned bleuets, the French symbol of commemoration of the First World War.  The blue flower was among the few to bloom in the muddy trenches, and matched the color of the French soldiers' uniforms.


Another rare flower to bloom in the trenches was the red poppy, symbol of war commemoration in Britain and Canada as inspired by the poem "In Flanders Fields."  This year, some four million visitors to the Tower of London have viewed "Blood Swept Lands and Seas of Red," the outdoor installation of over 800,000 ceramic poppies, each symbolizing a soldier's death in World War I.







1 comment:

  1. I have been suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) for the last four years and had constant outbreaks and pains. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday, and i was taking treatments and meds from my doctor. I was taking accyclovir alongside some ointment. I spent so much on meds but the blisters still return after some months. It was early this year, i was using the Internet to see if i could gather any information to get rid of this virus once and for all, using natural herbs. Then i came across a testimony of a woman who was healed from diabetes and Cancer of the breast by one Herbal Dr.yakubu. I copied the email address of the doctor after her testimony. So I sent a message to Dr.yakubu telling him about my Herpes Virus. he told me not to worry that as long as I will make use of the herbs as directed, with God, I will soon testify. I thought he was bluffing. So we got talking and he asked me some questions. He prepared and sent me some herbs in 70ml bottles and ointment, then he guided me on how to use them. In less than 2 months of usage, i was totally healed. The blisters disappeared and the pains gone too. I went for a test and the result was Negative. I had to use a different hospital and the result was same. Since over nine months now, I am Herpes Free.... Please my advise is this, if you have similar sickness or any other sickness at all, Please do not forget to reach out to Dr.yakubu on : (dr.yakubuherbalhealingclinic@gmail.com). you can also reach the doctor on whatsapp +2348057353647

    ReplyDelete