Tuesday, November 4, 2014

Caroline's Fall Break Trip to Greece (Athens, Santorini) and Italy (Rome, Venice, and Vatican City)

I like traveling alone but at the same time making new friends. I visited important tourist attractions in Greece and Italy and would like to discuss some interesting things there.
Greece has always been my dreamland. In Agora in Athens, where philosophers discussed democracy, I encountered four Greeks, who in sequence asked me questions about progress, Dorian Gray, time, etc.,  modeling scenes from Socrates' time! 
I made a good friend who also studied in France. Together we visited Melissinos Arts and the poet sandal maker, who handcrafts shoes for priestesses, stars, and the public. When customers come in, the shoe makers measure the customers' feet sizes and design shoes only for the buyers! We took a photo with the owner of this store, who studied at Parsons, the New School for Design in NYC.
I loved the colors of blue and white in Santorini: blue ocean, white houses, blue sky, white dresses in the wind. 
I visited the Colosseum, Trevi Fountain, St. Angelo Castel, and the Spanish Steps in Rome. In Vatican City, St. Peter's basilica impressed me as I could listen to the religious music and enjoy the peaceful atmosphere in the cathedral. 
When I was in Venice, I saw children playing trick and treat for Halloween! How international was this American holiday! Under the blue sky, in the music played by a classical music orchestra, a couple danced a waltz. I was moved by their romance and love of music and dance.


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

No comments:

Post a Comment