Monday, November 3, 2014

Coca-Colonization?

As we enter the second half of our F&M in Paris program, we begin our study of the second half of the twentieth century and early twenty-first century.  This week we are discussing the Fourth Republic and its transition to the Fifth Republic with the return of Charles de Gaulle to power.  For our examination of early postwar Franco-American relations, we read Richard Kuisel's account of the French resistance to Coca-Cola in the late 1940s and early 1950s.  Although other Europeans alleged Coke was dangerous and some countries temporarily banned it, l'affaire de Coca-Cola was most prolonged in France, where governmental opposition to Coke, grounded in fears of American political, economic, and cultural dominance, led the American Ambassador to France to protest to Prime Minister Georges Bidault.  Ultimately, the path was cleared for the sale of le Coca in France, where it was (and still is) advertised widely, even if French consumption lagged behind that of other Europeans well into the 1980s.

Coca-Cola Advertisements in 1950s France




As Kianna discovered during her Fall Break travels in Spain, Coke is still the target of European boycotts!


1 comment:

  1. I have been suffering from (HERPES SIMPLEX VIRUS) for the last four years and had constant outbreaks and pains. During the first year,I had faith in God that i would be healed someday, and i was taking treatments and meds from my doctor. I was taking accyclovir alongside some ointment. I spent so much on meds but the blisters still return after some months. It was early this year, i was using the Internet to see if i could gather any information to get rid of this virus once and for all, using natural herbs. Then i came across a testimony of a woman who was healed from diabetes and Cancer of the breast by one Herbal Dr.yakubu. I copied the email address of the doctor after her testimony. So I sent a message to Dr.yakubu telling him about my Herpes Virus. he told me not to worry that as long as I will make use of the herbs as directed, with God, I will soon testify. I thought he was bluffing. So we got talking and he asked me some questions. He prepared and sent me some herbs in 70ml bottles and ointment, then he guided me on how to use them. In less than 2 months of usage, i was totally healed. The blisters disappeared and the pains gone too. I went for a test and the result was Negative. I had to use a different hospital and the result was same. Since over nine months now, I am Herpes Free.... Please my advise is this, if you have similar sickness or any other sickness at all, Please do not forget to reach out to Dr.yakubu on : (dr.yakubuherbalhealingclinic@gmail.com). you can also reach the doctor on whatsapp +2348057353647

    ReplyDelete